Monday, June 22, 2009

Young chess talents and the media

I had a chance to have a short chat with Cherry Ann Mejia, one of the four gold medalists in the 10th ASEAN+ Age-Group Chess Championships, during the first day of the NCR Leg edition of the Shell Active Chess at the Mall of Asia.


I just told her that GMA 7 wanted to feature her, together with 6-year old Stephen Rome Pangilinan who won in Las Vegas recently, in Mel & Joey program.

She told me that she was already booked to be interviewed this July. Let's all watch out for that episode. Cherry Anne was with another chess talent Jan Jodilyn Fronda when I talked to her.

On Day 2, I spotted 14-year old Chardine Cheradee Camacho in the venue who was watching games from the sideline.

My companion who is as old as I am was astonished when I told him that the girl beside us is the future WGM of the Philippines. All he could say was "Hah, talaga?" with his eyes wondering in amazement.

By the way, paging Bong Pangilinan. Somebody named Garry from La Salle called me several times to inform you that he wanted to talk to you regarding your son Stephen. Please call him at 0919-551-4855.

In the Philippine setting, we all know that our young chess talents need benefactors who can offer help to further their young chess careers.

This blog, no matter how voiceless in the vastness of global media, simply would like to pitch its share, no matter how small, in helping our young chess heroes achieve their dreams.

1 Comment:

Tony said...

Way to go Mr Resty! This is pinoymaster77 of BW. I've been following your site for chess news whenever I log onto the internet and your site is REALLY the BEST in terms of featuring our young chessers and announcing the tournaments nationwide. You really got a widespread chess network!!

Pls keep it up. And kudos here, seems like La Salle is keen to recruit Stephen Pangilinan. They need to catch up on FEU...