Monday, September 14, 2009

My game against GM Torre

There is only one first. And when it comes to Asia chess, there is only one First Asia’s Grandmaster.

That’s how legendary GM Eugene Torre is. He’s not only a chess player. He is history.

The beauty of it is that the first grandmaster in Asia happened to be a Filipino. So when the rare opportunity to play against him came, I never dilly dallied to grab the chance.

That moment was realized last September 5 when GM Torre held a simul exhibition in Meralco. Yes, I was one of the participants.

Shaking hands with GM Torre and seeing him make his first move against me over the board was simply memorable and something that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

There’s something special in him that can earn the admiration and respect of people around. Perhaps it’s in the way he talks, or in the way he carries himself. Or simply, it’s the genuine goodness within him that’s being naturally beamed out that makes him charismatic.

And who wouldn’t admire him? He endured long hours of conducting the simul with an end-view of helping the families of the RP PARA Chess Team players. And as I heard, he skipped a big tournament for the sake of the welfare of the handicapped players. What a heart.

During that one-day charity event, I learned valuable things from GM Torre just from observing him. One lesson I learned is that great men are made by the smallest things they make. What do I mean?

I admire GM Torre seeing him fall in line at the canteen for lunch. I admire, too, the way he chose his food, the way he ate, and the way he talked while consuming his food. Discipline even in the smallest of things, that is. Very admirable, indeed.

And what a memory he’s got. Imagine conducting a simul in 21 boards. And yet, he can still remember the position and moves he played!! GM Torre and Angelofdeath, one of the two simul participants who won against GM Torre, were discussing their games move by move when they were having their lunch after the simul. Whew!

And now, ladies and gentlemen, how about my game against Asia’s first grandmaster?

In my game against him, my objective was to stay in the game, at least, for up to 20 moves. My worst fear is to be the first to resign or get mated.

And so our game began. We shook hands, and made our moves one after the other. When I was already in my 19th move, I said to myself "Oh wow, I will last 20 moves!"

I was so engrossed in my game that I didn't notice that I was already reaching 25 . . . 30 . . .35 . . . 40 moves . . . and counting . . .

And to my surprise when I got up my head, I noticed that we were already four players left playing on board.

I was on the DEFENSIVE stance all game long. But there was a point when I saw some attacking chances. And so I did. A attacked like a raging bull, only to got astray in the end, and got stabbed by a real maestro right in the eye!!

What do you expect? I lost the game, as a matter of course, which lasted 55 moves. But thinking that I played against Asia's first grandmaster for a good cause makes me feel a winner, too, in the end.


Cory magic? Perhaps, this magazine with Tita Cory on its cover served as a real inspiration for me to last 53 moves against GM Torre. I played the game with it beside me.

Here is my game against GM Torre:

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

may panalo k brad o kea tabla after move 52. Kd5 Rf2 pnkadbest n reply 53. f4! ngeon g3 nlng wlang depensa.. tpoz takes yung pawn s a ands c file.

Tony said...

Hi Resty,
I could identify with that! My goal in the game vs gmjoey was 'not to lose early'.

Nung konti na lang, ang bilis na ng balik and medyo mapapabilis na move, and naka-conscious kung kasama na sa 'last man standing'.

rjsolcruz said...

resty,
this is a great game of your vs asia's 1st gm. reaching an endgame with the gm is a victory in itself.
congrats.
rolly
meralco chess club