Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2009 ASEAN Para Games

While on my way to Makati this morning (on board an ordinary bus along EDSA), I spotted two members of the Malaysia-bound Philippine PARA Chess Team. If I'm not mistaken, one of them was Sir Rudy(?), the partially blind player who played Board 1 for the PARA Team during a recent friendly four-team match in Meralco.

Both of them were in uniform (with RP flag on it) and had big bags with them near MRT Magallanes Station. I believe they were already going to the airport, or to a particular assembly venue, for the Philippine participation in the 2009 ASEAN PARA Games which will be held in Malaysia from August 15 to 19.

Just imagine two blind persons along EDSA with big bags with them!! And as I saw it, it was only the two of them in that place in that moment. Frankly, I really felt a little worried seeing them that way. (I hope somebody had to fetch them from there.)

I consider them special athletes, and therefore should be given special considerations. AT THE VERY LEAST, THEY MUST BE ACCOMPANIED AND WELL ATTENDED TO BY CONCERNED INSTITUTION OR INSTITUTIONS WHEN ON THEIR WAY TO THE AIRPORT OR A SPECIFIC ASSEMBLY AREA.

I remember that Sir Rudy kept on telling me that he would visit Malibay Chess Club to get copies of pictures that I took during the Meralco event.

He's like a child who's so joyful in knowing that their pictures can be seen all over the world through the Internet.

And to my suprise, he candidly asked me, "Sir Resty, negosyo mo ba ang pagkuha ng pictures?" I guess, his assumption is that I took and PRINT photos for sale.

No, I replied. I tapped his shoulder and said, "Free service 'yun." I just scratch my head since I really don't print photos but only upload them in my blog.

But since Sir Rudy was expecting printed copies, it only means that I have to print some copies for him. Oh well, a simple gift for a special athelete like him is just like saying "Thank you" to a special chess hero who waves the Philippine flag in international competitions. (I have yet to print the copies, though.)

To all those who participated in the recent fund-raising simul in Meralco, you did your share in helping our PARA Team! May the Heaven above reward your goodness.

Let's be one in prayer for the Philippine RP Team to excel in Malaysia and bring honor to the country.

2 Comments:

Tony said...

All the best to our Para team!

We pray for their success!

rjsolcruz said...

15 gold haul, per Ms. Nanie - PARA Team Manager