Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wesley writes

BY: BOBBY ANG

(As published in Chess Piece, BusinessWorld, on March 12, 2010)

GM Wesley So annotated his upset victory over Vassily Ivanchuk in the World Cup for Chessbase Magazine, and with his permission we are reproducing his notes here for the benefit of our readers. I apologize that due to space considerations I have had to cut out some of the more involved variations.

Ivanchuk, Vassily (2739) – So, Wesley (2640) [C01]
World Cup Khanty Mansiysk (2.1), 24.11.2009
REQUIRES JAVA

WESLEY SO: After winning my rapid tie break against Gadir Guseinov from Azerbaijan, in the next round I had to face one of the top seeds in the tournament: Vassily Ivanchuk. Of course I had to play very carefully in the match (if I were not to lose immediately) and in general I would be happy if I managed to reach the tie breaks. What happened was quite unexpected, but OK this is only a two-game match.





WESLEY SO: Having won the first game, I then managed to draw the second game with White after great difficulties even though I played the Exchange Slav. Of course I’m happy to win a match against such a player as Ivanchuk, but OK two games do not prove anything and I still think he is one of the world’s very best players.

0 Comments: