Tuesday, March 2, 2010

GM Wesley So is guest in MIAA

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) celebrated its 28th Anniversary last March 2, 2008 with no less than the country's Pambansang Utak GM Wesley So as their special guest of honor.

Wow! For a chess personality to be invited by an institution like MIAA is a very good sign. You see, chess is already inching its way to the attention of major Philippine institutions. Ah, perhaps, MIAA could be a possible sponsor of GM Wesley - and other possible young Filipino chess prodigies now and in the future. Ehem, time to have the Philippine edition of Aeroflot?

Speaking of MIAA, let me share with you a very short story about somebody named Mr. Victor Diokno who, if I'm not mistaken, is connected to MIAA. Last Saturday (February 27), I visited the venue of the 1st All in Sports Expo at the Philippine Sports Commission to watch some chess actions there. Somebody from the crowd approached me and said, "Mukhang namumukhaan kita. Parang ikaw yung taga-Malibay Chess Club." I looked at him, but remained speechless. Then he said, "Binabasa ko yung blog mo tuwing umaga," then I smiled at him, with some comfort and virtual familiarity. We chatted for a while and he asked me to get a photo of him beside GM Wesley So in action. We parted ways but me forgetting to get his name. When I posted his photo with Wesley in this blog, he emailed me and told me his name. And that's how I came to know Mr. Diokno.

PLEASE CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR ENLARGED VIEW
(Photos sent in by Mrs. Leny So)







1 Comment:

billy rubin said...

mabuhay ka GM Wes! god bless & hope you reach 2700 soon :)