Thursday, February 5, 2009

Haridas Pascua

When I learned that Haridas Pascua is among the Filipino woodpushers who will play in Aeoroflot 2009 in Moscow, I can’t help writing a post about him.

As you all know, he will fly to Moscow together with GM Wesley So, IM Richard Bitoon, and Jan Emmanuel Garcia.

If my stock knowledge is right, Haridas is from Baguio City. I have this some sort of “relatedness” with those coming from the City of Pines. It’s just that I stayed for four years there during my college years. I earned my bachelor’s degree from the University of the Philippines in Baguio.

UP Baguio is now autonomous. But during my time there, it did not enjoy autonomy as it was annexed to UP Diliman.

Anyway, it was my first time to see Haridas in action when he defeated Merben Roque, the ace of Malibay Chess Club, during the 1st Mayor Alfredo Lim Rapid Chess tournament in SM Manila in 2008.

I can still remember that Haridas, holding the white pieces, beat Roque in a Benoni fight. Haridas trapped Roque’s knight and eventually won the game. But in the end, Haridas settled for second place only (am not sure, though).

Born in 1993, he now parades a FIDE rating of 2343 and is presently the 39th highest ranked player in the country. Despite his strength as a competitive player, I believe that he’s not earned any master’s title yet (correct me if I’m wrong).

In this campaign in Aeroflot and all the other campaigns that lie ahead, we wish Haridas all the luck.

See my previous post about Haridas. Please click HERE.

Haridas Pascua (right) battling Edmundo Gatus during the 1st Mayor Alfredo Lim Rapid Chess Tournament at SM Manila in 2008.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post, nice blog! very good work my friend! call me kiko hahahaha!