Thursday, July 16, 2009

World Games 2009

I was able to watch on TV the opening ceremony of the World Games 2009 which was set to run from July 16 to 26 in Kaohsiung (Chinese Taipei).

I was indeed excited to think that chess is part of the World Games and even hoped to see some of our leading chess players in the list of participating athletes.

But oh my, it is only today that I discovered that chess is not part of World Games. Oh yeah, chess is also not part of the Olympics. (Click HERE for a backgrounder on the World Games.)

Which made me realize that chess has its own Olympics – the Chess Olympiad. Chess is that special, you know (Pacquiao style).

Talking of the Chess Olympiad, it was the 38th edition in Dresden, Germany that impressed me most in terms of organizing, execution, and media coverage.

How I wish the Philippines could afford to make such kind of hosting. Our first (and hopefully not last) taste of hosting the Olympiad was in 1992 (30th Chess Olympiad) which was ruled by the Russians, Uzbeks, and Armenians, in that order.

I know that hosting a Chess Olympiad is tall order. But with a truly effective and committed official Philippine chess federation, it could be accomplished – again, and much better.

I won’t really be surprised if Vietnam is able to host a successful Chess Olympiad in the near future – in a fashion much better than we did in 1992.

0 Comments: