Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Positive energy

I was surprised and really elated this morning. Angelo Berico, Malibay Chess Club’s tournament director, paid me a surprise visit in my work place in Makati after volunteering to process the club’s registration papers with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

After securing the Articles of Incorporation and By-Laws from the SEC this morning, he decided to drop by our office here in Buendia while on his way home back to Malibay. Of course, as a host to a fellow club member – or better, a friend – I treated him to a simple lunch (rice and “adobo” prepared by my supportive wife as my “baon,” sauted ampalaya with “alamang,” noodles soup, and softdrinks. We had chess topics as our appetizer while we feasted on our simple meals. And as a special dessert or “panghimagas,” I let him use my laptop to browse chess sites on the Internet.

His service to the club is simply priceless, something that can’t be bought by money. It’s pure, unselfish, brotherly service to a noble cause which he believes in. A man of few words, he simply lets his actions do the talking. I just hope that his sense of volunteerism inspire other MCC members to exhibit the same aura of eagerness, same intensity of spirit of unity, and same greatness of concrete actions.

Just imagine that he devoted time and effort to process the club’s application papers with the SEC! Just imagine the level of perseverance and patience he endured in falling in line for a bureaucratic government transaction. All for free. I call it pure dedication – a positive energy that can move mountains of challenges!

Positive energy . . . a constructive one. May this be a part of our culture in the camaraderie that we are starting to build.

0 Comments: