Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Maureen Harkins bids farewell

We are really saddened by the news that Maureen Harkins, an American volunteer who served as a social worker at the Community and Family Services International (CFSI) in Park Avenue in Pasay City, had already returned home to US.

Who is Maureen Markins? Well, she is the Malibay Chess Club’s key contact person at the CFSI, a humanitarian organization that takes care of poor street children and out-of-school youth living in the Park Avenue area and outlying barangays.

Maureen gave her unwavering support in a continuing partnership between CFSI and the Malibay Chess Club in helping the kids reach their full potentials through chess, which is just one of the many services of CFSI in serving the community.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you, MAUREEN, for the good cause that you fought for while you were still here in the Philippines. It was a cause worth working for. It was a cause worth living for.

Your commitment inspired other cause-oriented souls to persevere more in championing a good cause, even in a very small way that can save and touch more lives.

Here are the parting words of Maureen in her emails:

“It has been my pleasure collaborating with you and your enthusiastic group
on the chess project during my time here in Manila. I hope that the
cooperation between many local young chess enthusiasts continues to grow and the
network continues to strengthen long after my departure. My only regret is
that my tenure here has been far too short; I hope to return to Manila in the
future and to find a chess network that has been nurtured by the dedication and
generosity that you offer to the young people who enjoy it so much.

Thank you so very much for your kind words. Today, Friday the
19th of July will be my last day working at CFSI, and I fly back to the states
early next week.

Again, thank you for your warm reception here in your beautiful
country, and I am so grateful for the collaboration we have been able to forge
for the children and youth in the chess clubs. I hope to return very
soon!

Yours,
Maureen”

0 Comments: