Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fear and blunder

Based on my own experience, fear of my opponent seemed to put a grayish screen blocking my clear view of what's happening on the chess board.

Whenever I'm afraid of my opponent, or whenever I'm playing against somebody whom I feel I don't have any chance of winning, there seems to be a numbing spell in my head and a blinding fog in my eyes hindering me to think and see clearly.

I don't know why. But that kind of feeling never occurs in me whenever I play against somebody who is just as good as I am, or better, weaker than I am.

Just look at what happened during the 1st round of the ongoing 1st Dragon Capital Vietnam Chess Open (which runs from August 26 to September 2, 2008) where four Filipino woodpushers led by GM Wesley So are taking part.

So,Wesley (2577) - Le,Kieu Thien Kim (2286)
[C42]1st Dragon Capital Vietnam chess open Vung Tau (1.4), 27.08.2008

Position after 37.Qd6

Out of the blue, Black made a terrible blunder 37. . .Rb6? Was it because of fear? Was it because Black was against somebody named GM Wesley So?
Perhaps, Black was intending for a draw by perpetual check [38.Qxb6 Qc1+ 39.Kh2 Qf4+]
But White's Queen on b6 already supports the f2 pawn.
Wesley punished Black's blunder with the natural 38.Qxb6
Was it just a plain blunder? Or was it caused by fear?
By the way, please click here to see how our Filipino fighters are faring in that tournament after 3 rounds:

0 Comments: